My wife asked me to make a peppermill for her friend’s wedding present. I managed to finish gluing up the blanks by the wedding, but I was a wee bit late in completing the mill. I felt so bad that it took me so long, I decided to turn a matching salt shaker. The blank was glued up from some padauk, maple, and a black veneer. I used a new finishing technique I learned from Stephen Hatcher to fill in the pores of the wood. I then sprayed them with an instrument grade lacquer. I wet sanded them with 1500 grit once the lacquer had cured. Then I buffed them to a beautifully smooth glasslike finish! These are my favorite so far.
My local turning club, SPSW, split its membership into 5 regional groups in March. These five groups were asked to turn as many items as they could for the charities we support (Empty Bowls and Blinded Veterans Association) by the April meeting. The group with the most turnings would recieve a prize. I decided to turn a couple at the last minute. The first piece I grabbed was a piece of Magnolia that I won at our last Christmas party. The bowl is 8 inches in diameter and 2 inches deep. The second was a piece of Western Maple I had laying around. This one was about 10 inches in diameter and 3 inches deep. I finished both bowls with walnut oil.
A coworker asked me to turn a few bottlestoppers for him to give as groomsmen gifts. The lighter two are some spalted red gum and the darker ones were an experiment. They are turned from purpleheart, then I fumed them with Muriatic Acid. This is supposed to turn it to more of a cranberry color. I am a little dissatisfied with the results, but I still think they look good.
I have been away from the lathe for a very long time, too long!!! A while ago my wife broke her ceramic salt shaker and I told her not to buy a new one. I went out to the shop to find some remnants from the neighbor’s firewood pile that I turned her peppermill from. I then turned this salt shaker to mimmick the shape of her peppermill. I finished the mill with Danish Oil then followed with wipe-on polyurethane. I purchased the metal top from Craftsupplies USA. Rather than using a traditional rubber bung to seal the bottom, I used a lid from a plastic water bottle. I forgot to take a picture of this one, but you can see it on another salt shaker I turned previously.
Congratulations Eric and Lynn!! Hope the two of you have a wonderful marriage together!!
Eric and I have been friends since highschool when we helped his step dad run a front engine dragster.
I wanted to give him and his new bride a gift that they could cherrish everyday at their dinner table. So, I made them a nice Maple bowl. The bowl is about 12″ wide and 3″ tall. I turned it from some local curly Big Leaf Maple. I sanded the bowl to about 800 grit. I finally got a rotary adapter made for my vacuum pump, so I was able to add some nice detail rings to the bottom of the bowl. I added my signature, bowl number, and wood species to the rings on the bottom with my dremel engraver.
Then I finished the bowl with 3 coats of Danish Oil. Once that had cured for a couple of weeks, I buffed the bowl on my Beall buff system.